Code is READ far more often than it is written!

Lines more than 80-ish characters impose a rapidly increasing cognitive and
visual burden with every additional character. Really, starting at more
like 70 characters. It's not quite exponential in the harm, but it's
strongly super-linear, after the threshold.

I use a 32" high res screen and run my terminal in full screen mode. Even
with eyes not quite so sharp as when I was younger, I can easily read about
300 characters wide in a very legible font.[*]

I ALMOST NEVER write lines that exceed 80 characters. If I am project lead
or technical manager I will first warn anyone who does, then fire them as
harmful to the project if they don't fix their habits.

[*] Although my terminal is that big, I use tmux to have several panes of
useful width. The widest, central, one is something like 112 chars, but I
really don't want the rightmost part to show code EVER.