I love pipx and I'm glad it exists at this point because it make

The main issue is that each virtualenv takes space, lots of space.

I have currently 57 apps installed via pipx on my laptop, and the 57
environments take almost 1 GB already.

 ~  cd .local/pipx/venvs/
 ~/.l/p/venvs  ls
abilian-tools/  concentration/  gitlabber/      pygount/        sphinx/
ansible/        cookiecutter/   httpie/         pyinfra/        tentakel/
assertize/      cruft/          isort/          pylint/         tlv/
autoflake/      cython/         jupyterlab/     pyre-check/     towncrier/
black/          dephell/        lektor/         pytype/         tox/
borgbackup/     docformatter/   md2pdf/         pyupgrade/      twine/
borgmatic/      flake8/         medikit/        radon/          virtualenv/
bpytop/         flit/           mypy/           re-ver/         virtualfish/
check-manifest/ flynt/          nox/            sailboat/       vulture/
clone-github/   gh-clone/       pdoc3/          salvo/
cloneall/       ghtop/          pdocs/          shed/
com2ann/        gitchangelog/   pybetter/       sixer/
 ~/.l/p/venvs  du -sh .
990M .
 ~/.l/p/venvs  ls | wc
      57      57     475

There is probably a clever way to reuse common packages (probably via
clever symlinking) and reduce the footprint of these installations.

Still, I'm glad that pipx exists as it is now, and that it has been
packaged on Ubuntu 20.04 and later (and probably other distros as well).

Having pipx (or something similar) installed by the distro, and the distro
focussed on packaging only the packages that are needed for its own sake,
means that we could go past the controversies between the Python community
and the Debian (or other distros) packagers community, which are based on
different goals and assumption, such as this one:
https://gist.github.com/tiran/2dec9e03c6f901814f6d1e8dad09528e

  S.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:28 AM Paul Bryan <pbr...@anode.ca> wrote:

> I think it's a classic case of dependency hell.
>
> OS packagers are rebundling Python packages as OS packages and expressing
> their own OS-package dependency graphs. Then, you sudo pip install
> something that has a conflicting dependency, it bypasses OS packaging, and
> *boom*.
>
> I find tools like pipx <https://pipxproject.github.io/pipx/> go a long
> way to solve this, as they install a Python package and all of its
> dependencies in its own venv. This is great for Python apps, and (kinda)
> treats them like apps on platforms like Android, where all app dependencies
> are bundled and isolated from others.
>
> I think it would great if OS vendors did something similar to pipx for
> Python-based apps: bundle the app and all of its dependencies into its own
> venv.
>

> On Tue, 2021-02-23 at 19:45 -0500, Random832 wrote:
>
> I was reading a discussion thread <
> https://gist.github.com/tiran/2dec9e03c6f901814f6d1e8dad09528e> about
> various issues with the Debian packaged version of Python, and the
> following statement stood out for me as shocking:
>
> Christian Heimes wrote:
>
> Core dev and PyPA has spent a lot of effort in promoting venv because we
> don't want users to break their operating system with sudo pip install.
>

> I don't think sudo pip install should break the operating system. And I
> think if it does, that problem should be solved rather than merely advising
> users against using it. And why is it, anyway, that distributions whose
> package managers can't coexist with pip-installed packages don't ever seem
> to get the same amount of flak for "damaging python's brand" as Debian is
> getting from some of the people in the discussion thread? Why is it that
> this community is resigned to recommending a workaround when distributions
> decide the site-packages directory belongs to their package manager rather
> than pip, instead of bringing the same amount of fiery condemnation of that
> practice as we apparently have for *checks notes* splitting parts of the
> stdlib into optional packages? Why demand that pip be present if we're not
> going to demand that it works properly?
>
> I think that installing packages into the actual python installation, both
> via distribution packaging tools and pip [and using both simultaneously -
> the Debian model of separated dist-packages and site-packages folders seems
> like a reasonable solution to this problem] can and should be a supported
> paradigm, and that virtual environments [or more extreme measures such as
> shipping an entire python installation as part of an application's
> deployment] should ideally be reserved for the rare corner cases where that
> doesn't work for some reason.
>
> How is it that virtual environments have become so indispensable, that
> no-one considers installing libraries centrally to be a viable model
> anymore? Are library maintainers making breaking changes too frequently,
> [...]

Stefane Fermigier - http://fermigier.com/ - http://twitter.com/sfermigier -
http://linkedin.com/in/sfermigier
Founder & CEO, Abilian - Enterprise Social Software -
http://www.abilian.com/
Chairman, National Council for Free & Open Source Software (CNLL) -
http://cnll.fr/
Founder & Organiser, PyParis & PyData Paris - http://pyparis.org/ &
http://pydata.fr/