On 3/04/21 6:15 pm, David Mertz wrote:
It's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I used ticker tape adding machines with a big ENTER button to separate numbers... Then the operation, usually +, at the end.

That seems unlikely. If you don't tell it what to do with the
numbers until the very end, it needs a stack big enough to hold
all of them. Early RPN calculators typically had a very small
stack, usually about 4 items.

HP calculators had an ENTER button, but you only used it to
separate the first two numbers, then used + or whatever after
subsequent ones.

384
423
827
563 +
----------
????

Isn't that what you learned in grade school?

Yes, but there the paper is your stack, and it's big enough to
hold quite a few numbers.

You were also probably taught to add the numbers up column by
column, which is quite different from the way a calculator or
computer does it!

I vaguely recall as a child using a mechanical one where you pulled a lever between lines as the "enter".

I wouldn't call that an "enter" lever, rather a "+" lever,
since it was almost certainly adding the entered number to
its accumulator. There will also have been some kind of
mode switch to make it subtract instead of add.

--
Greg