On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 10:01:06AM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> Another thing to keep in mind with any syntax suggestion (not that it
> applies well here, because really, what else can your suggestion mean?)
> it that every addition syntax is a detour into the unused space of
> possible token paths.

I'm not arguing for or against it, but parenthesis-free definitions
"could" mean something rather different, such as (let's say) a function
that uses dynamic scoping instead of lexical, and always gets its
arguments from the calling scope.

    def func:
        return min(a, 10)

    # first caller
    a = 5
    print(func())  # --> 5

    # second caller
    def my_function():
       a = 20
       print(func())
    my_function()  # --> 10

If I wanted dynamic scopes, I wouldn't design the API that way. But we
could.

Another possibility would be computed values (sort of like properties):

    def now:
        return strftime('%H:%M:%S')

    print(now)  # --> 21:23:20
    time.sleep(15)
    print(now)  # --> 21:23:35

The point here is to agree with Cameron that every time we choose to use
syntax for one thing, that precludes us from using that same syntax for
a different thing.