On 29Jul2021 15:58, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 at 15:39, Leonardo Freua
><leonardo.batista.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would it be interesting to create a @deprecated decorator to avoid
>> adding warnings.warn("deprecation message", DeprecationWarning,
>> stacklevel=2) in methods body?
>
>I don't see the value personally.

I do. Like various others here I wrote myself such a decorator long ago.
It was named @OBSOLETE and was by no means as complete as, say, the
Deprecated PyPI module. But the use case was the same:

    @OBSOLETE
    def old_func():

A decorator is concise and right up front in the code. As others have
mentioned, it becomes easy for tooling to see or use. (Not mine, it is a
miracle of crudity, just issuing warning() calls when the function is
first called from some place - it does at least say where the call was
made from.)

[...]
>Why would it be "interesting"? I don't see any practical advantage,
>and as soon as you need any form of logic you have to rewrite, so why
>bother?

That's the case for any presupplied convenience. But it covers off a lot
of the common cases to my mind.

The idea's a definite +1 from me.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>