Matsuoka Takuo writes:

 > >>> *(1,2),
 > (1, 2)

Yes, this works, and now that I see you just want that to work in
"a[*(1,2),]", I agree, I don't know why that is a syntax error.  This
works, of course:

    t = *(1,2),
    a[t]

(in the sense that if a is a sequence you get a TypeError because the
index isn't an integer or slice, but if it's a mapping you'll get the
value corresponding to (1,2) or a KeyError because it's not in the
mapping).  I think it's not good that "a[*(1,2),]" gives a SyntaxError,
but I don't know why it was made that way in the first place.

 > I find it unfortunate SyntaxError you got with

 > says "can't use starred expression here" since "*(1,2)" is not really
 > a "starred expression" as defined in the Language Reference.

I don't have time to go into that tonight but if the appropriate
thread gets takeup I'll comment there.  You could promote the issue by
submitting a merge request.