On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 10:40:59PM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM Finn Mason <finnjavie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Or the NaNs could be treated as zeros and a warning raised:
> >

> Absolutely not! NaN in no way means zero, ever. We should never provide a
> known incorrect result.

I agree that NANs should not be replaced by zero. If the user wants to
replace NANs with some constant, they can filter and replace the data
themselves.

> > I do feel there should be a catchable warning but not an outright
> > exception, and a non-NaN value should still be returned.
> >

> I disagree -- warnings are way too easy to ignore. Give people a way to
> opt-in to silent NaN handling, but don't rely on a warning to let people
> know they need to think about it.

Such a warning would be opt-in. If someone chooses to ignore the
warnings that they explicitly asked to receive, that's not our problem
:-)

I think it would be useful to say "ignore NANs, but give me a warning if
you do". That gives a meaningful result (treating NANs as if they were
missing data) while still alerting the user to the fact that they had
missing data and might want to find out why.