My first thought when reading this (and the recent discussion on Python
ideas) was that pytest already does this.

Then I see in the PEP:   "What pytest does is awesome“

So what?

Well,  two points:

1) this should be part of a test framework, not something built in to
exceptions. Pytest has shown that it can be done without any language
changes.

2) there are a lot of things in Pytest that are very useful. And a lot of
problems with unittest.

So maybe what we should do now, rather than add one feature, is propose a
 new test framework/test runner for the stdlib, inspired by pytest.

Alternatively, take the approach taken with distutils and setuptools—
officially accept that a full featured test framework will be left to third
parties.

NOTE: if the proposal does require actual language changes beyond the
current  introspection options, that should be made clear.

-CHB

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:12 AM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 12:05, Noam Tenne <n...@10ne.org> wrote:
>
> > Caveats
> > -------
> >
> > It is important to note that expressions with side effects are affected
> by this feature. This is because in order to display this information, we
> must store references to the instances and not just the values.
>
> One immediate thought. You should give examples of the sort of
> expressions that are affected, and precisely what the effect is. It's
> impossible to judge the importance of this point without details.
>
> Paul
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/JJ2CT4FYFHJOOSABQOD6KRKCQ22FJ2BI/

Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)