On Sat, 25 Sept 2021 at 06:09, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephenjturnb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>
>  > I think this is by far the best option. Pytest can evolve much faster than
>  > the stdlib.
>
> Is there no room for making it easier to do this with less invasive
> changes to the stdlib, or are Steven d'A's "heroic measures in an
> import hook" the right way to go?

+1 on this. There are a number of "better exceptions" packages out
there (for example, `better_exceptions` :-)) which would benefit from
an improved mechanism to introspect failed assertions. A language
change to make life easier for all those packages seems like an
"obvious" feature to me.From there, it's a relatively small step to
having a better *default* assertion reporting mechanism, but the PEP
should focus on the machinery first, and the front end second IMO.

Paul