I disagree that "it teaches a lot about how Python works" is a good reason to
keep things the way they are. If you applied this principle more broadly, it
would seem to be an argument in favour of complexity in most situations, that
would imply we should keep syntactic sugar to a bare minimum at all times.

Learning about how Python works under the hood is extremely valuable for
becoming a more advanced programmer. However, not everybody needs to be a
mechanic to drive a car. We should surely make it as easy as possible for
beginners to write fully functional scripts that conform to best practices.

I love this proposal. "if__name__ == '__main__'" has always felt, to me, as
though it flies in the face of the simplicity and elegance Python generally
prizes in other parts of the language.

Best wishes,
Alex