On 2021-11-12 at 14:43:07 +1100,
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 10:06:45PM -0500, Ricky Teachey wrote:
>
> > Is there a standard idiom-- perhaps using a type-hint-- to signal to the
> > IDE/linter that my user-defined class is intended to be used as a
> > function/factory, and not as a type (even though it is in fact a type)?
>
> Not really. I don't think there is even a standard idiom for the human
> reader to decide whether something is used as a "function" or a "class".
> It is subjective, based on usage and convention. As others have pointed
> out, many functions in Python can be considered as class constructor:

Isn't that why we like duck typing?  I don't care what something is, I
just care what it does.  So when I call zip(x, y) and get an iterable,
what's the difference (to me, as the user) whether zip is a class or a
function or some arbitraru callable, let alone what the implementation
of the resulting iterable is?

If I want Java, I know where to find it.