Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > You can try putting an enhancement request on the bug tracker,
 > almost certainly you will be told to propose it here to see if
 > there is consensus that it is useful enough.  You can submit a PR
 > on the repo, but likewise. You can ask on Python-Dev, but you will
 > almost certainly be told you need to write a PEP, and to have that
 > PEP even accepted for consideration you need to have at least one
 > core developer volunteer to sponsor it. You could discuss it on
 > Discuss, where at least you are likely to get feedback from a
 > different set of people, but the eventual answer will be the same:
 > this almost surely will need a PEP.

That's a good description of the various paths, but I don't think the
bar here is as high as a PEP.

I don't recall there being a PEP for zip(..., strict=).  This is
somewhat more invasive than that, but I really don't see a need for a
PEP.  The motivation is obvious, the implementation is trivial unless
you want to catch edge cases like replacing an index that's out of
bounds (note ()[:0] + ()[1:] => ()), but that's the only such I can
think of, and that's close to trivial.  The only justification I can
see for a PEP would be a curated list of usages and/or description of
a compelling use case.  The former *would* be a PITA that wfdc is
manifestly unwilling to perform.  The latter is nonexistent, it's a
three-line function, and that's assuming you go for overkill with
argument-checking.  Saying that it's been discussed on Python Ideas,
and now it's ready for review, should be enough to foreclose bringing
it back here.

I think the likely response to a PR is summary closure, but that's the
best bet.  There's nothing to be learned by continuing this thread,
that's for sure.

 > Yes, this is all a damn nuisance,

Not compared to the free-fire zones I've seen in some projects. ;-)