>  >> The `__dict__` is needed to store the field names -- did you add
> `__dict__` to the
>  >> `__slots__`?

Nope — though the error indicated that I couldn’t add anything to __slots__
when subclassing tuple. But I may have misunderstood the error.

Also, frankly, I’m completely confused by __slots__ : looking at the
namedtuple implementation, it sets slots to an empty tuple. But it does
have instance attributes without a __dict__.

 > Maybe I'm being an ignoramus but: how would it be possible to even use
> slots? Slots
>  > are descriptors living in the class namespace. You don't know ahead of
> time what the
>  > member names are, so you can't use slots, right?

The idea there is that you’d store the field names in a slot, and
dynamically return the values in __getattr__.

In that case, frozen dict would be nice :-)

Anyway — good idea? I don’t know, ‘cause I did get it to work :-)

-CHB

> You can use them, just make sure one of the slots is `__dict__`.
>
> Of course, by adding `__dict__` you lose most (all?) of the advantages of
> using `__slots__` in the first place.
>
> --
> ~Ethan~
> Message archived at