On 6/04/22 8:58 pm, Mark Dickinson via Python-ideas wrote:
I'd be curious to know what alternatives you see. When a user writes `x + y`
with both `x` and `y` instances of `decimal.Decimal`, the decimal module needs
to know what precision to compute the result to (as well as what rounding mode
to use, etc.). Absent a thread-local context or task-local context, where would
that precision information come from?

I'm not sure, but my feeling is that if I want to limit results
to a specific number of digits, I'm going to want much finer
grained control, like specifying it for each individual
operation. The current design doesn't fit any use case I can
see myself needing.

--
Greg