On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM Marc-Andre Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> In high finance, I've never seen decimals being used, only floats.
> Excel is omnipresent, sets the standards and uses IEEE 754 floats
> as well (plus some black magic which sometimes helps, but often
> makes things worse):

In forex, instantaneous exchange rates are defined as a specific number of
decimal digits in a currencyA/currencyB exchange rate (on a particular
market).

This is about US$6.6 trillion/day governed by these rules... FAR more than
the combined size of ALL securities markets.

It was something like 2007 when the NYSE moved from prices in 1/32 penny to
a fixed-length decimal representation.