Chris Angelico writes:
 > On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 at 01:15, Christopher Barker
 > <python...@gmail.com> wrote:

 > > Totally different topic, but I do think that a "curated" package
 > > repo would be helpful -- there is a lot of cruft on PyPi :-(

Sounds like a "standard library".  I understand the difference, but
Like Chris A I'm dubious about whether there's really a lane for it,
or whether like bike lanes in Japan you'd just find a lot of illegal
parking in it. ;-)

But if somebody's going to put in effort to review PyPI, I'd really
rather see them go after "typo squatters".  Most are probably just
clout chasers, but we know that some are malware, far more dangerous
than merely "cruft".

Chris Angelico writes:

 > Instead, what I'd like to see is: Personal, individual blogs,
 > recommending packages that the author knows about and can give
 > genuine advice about.

I think this is a good way to go, expecially if reviewers link to each
other, building community as well as providing package reviews.  For
example, while my needs are limited enough that I haven't actually
tried any of his stuff, I've found Simon Willison's (datasette.io)
tweetqs interesting.  (datasette itself, of course, and he's tweeted a
lot about LLMs recently too, but here I'm referring to his more random
tweets about utilities he's discovered or created.)

There are also some idiosyncratic curated package collections (the
FLUFL packages, etc), as well as a lot of frameworks (Django, the Zope
components, lazr) that seem to sprout utility packages regularly.  I'm
sure there's a lane if somebody wants to go around blogging about all
the "stuff" they see.