On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 3:24 PM Dom Grigonis <dom.grigo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The less centralized it is, the less bad things can happen.
>
> Sure, but in a way the less good things can happen as well :-(.

The OP of this thread is not alone -- folks want an authoritative source --
they may not get that, but a bunch of blogs by who knows who is about as
far from that you can get. And isn't that what we have already? If you
google a question like "what's a good python package for xxxxx?" you
generally get hits.

I usually do that before I look directly on PyPI, because PyPI has a lot of
cruft and it's hard to sort out -- I'd rather start with at least
*someone's* recommendation.

> >  Only well researched, well defined, unambiguous problems, that depend
> on mature components of core python and are lacking in PyPI and stdlib.

Not easy to get consenson on that :-)

> I don’t think I am in position to create a repo for this group, even
> deciding on a repo name is beyond my competence level here. And in the end,
> it’s just an idea, I am honestly not sure if it’s a good one.

I think it may be a good idea, though I'm pretty unclear on exactly what
the idea is. I *think* It's a Python package review site, and if so, that
could work. You'd need a modest sized core team to review entries, and then
allow anyone to contribute a review -- the core team would "simply" decide
if it's a decent review or not.

LIke anything else, this would only work once there was some critical mass
-- enough reviews that folks would notice it.

In this particular case, having a robust bijective or more general
> reversible dict implementation would have saved me a fair bit of time,

Way to bring it back on topic!

Did you look on PyPI ? I looked really quickly and there's some
packages there, maybe something good.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)