On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 at 01:20, Jonathan Crall <erote...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:04 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > can you tell me what this vetting procedure proves that isn't already
> > proven by mere popularity itself?
>
> I think that's what this thread is trying to discuss. Do I have the exact
> perfect implementation? No. But I imagine it to be akin to peer-review. I
> can't prove this, but I think it adds signal that complements popularity.

So you're suggesting nothing, only that there might be a possible
suggestion to be made. Do you have an actual concrete proposal?

> > And are you also saying that packages should be *removed* from this curated
> > list?
>
> Yes, absolutely. If packages fall out of maintenance, are deprecated, or
> end-of-life, they should no longer be this curated list. I imagine the
> mechanism would be a series of snapshots of what the state of the list is at
> a particular point in time. What is the mechanism for determining the trigger
> to remove a package? No clue right now.  There are a lot of problems - most
> of them social - that need to be sorted out to make a useful curated package
> list a reality. I don't claim to have the answers, but I'm willing to
> participate in discussion to find them.

So.... who's going to actually do the work? You?

> > More robust in what way?
>
> It's curated by people I trust more than the average bear.

I trust the average bear a lot more than most people. They are pretty
awesome. Did you see the one that tried to eat Tom Scott's gopro
camera? I'd trust that bear (and stay out of its way).

> > If not, how is it different from "yet another collection"?
>
> We are discussing details about it here instead of just posting what we think
> should be there on github right now. I'm putting a bit of trust in this group
> to find a way to do that. I do think that separating the opinions of experts
> (however we choose to define that group - but I hope you agree that it should
> be possible to find some reasonable definition) as an auxiliary re-ranking on
> top of popularity is a good differentiator.

So.... yeah, you have no concrete proposal. Okay then.

ChrisA