On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 at 22:49, Dom Grigonis <dom.grigo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. The Python syntax is easily understandable to anyone who knows English as
> it follows English syntax: "What are you doing tonight?" "I'm going to the
> movies, if I manage to leave work on time, otherwise I'll just stay home.”
>   * Is the english sentence “If I manage to leave work on time, I’m going to
> the movies, otherwise, I’ll just stay home” incorrect?

This is a VERY common objection to Python's syntax. No, the English
sentence you provide isn't wrong, and the "follows English syntax"
argument is not saying that C's way of laying it out is wrong. English
happily supports both orders. But that's a relatively weak
justification, since this is the same English that has a purple fruit
called a "grape", and then a completely different fruit in a different
family called a "grapefruit"; and where there's no well-accepted word
for "the day after tomorrow", but after some incidents in Prague, came
up with the glorious word "defenestration", which can also refer to
shutting down your GUI and returning to terminal mode. So I would say
this is only really of value as a rebuttal to "Python's conditional
syntax makes no sense", by saying "yeah well, it's no worse than
English".

Which is kinda like saying "banging your head against a wall doesn't
hurt **that** much, it's not as bad as maintaining a PHP web site.".

ChrisA