> It might be nice if it was widely understood (in IT) that Python was a language any competent
> programmer could pick up in an afternoon

I am a programmer who works for a firm of engineers, where they program in VBA, badly. I've often mentioned Python, whereupon I'm usually dismissed as a crank. One of them expressed concern that if they used Python and I left, then nobody would understand what to do. I could have countered that Python is actually quite an easy language to pick up, but what's the point.

We might be doing a project which involves web-type stuff. I pointed out that if they did, they wouldn't be able to use VB/VBA, and may need to use something like Python. I didn't get a reaction from that at the time, but no doubt they'll be telling me that I'll have to make Excel work through the internet, or something.