On 1/24/07, John Nagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Mellon wrote:

> > Just to be clear: The problem here is "my personal itch is not being
> > scratched by other people for me", not "Python doesn't play well with
> > others". You are not any more important than anyone else and assuming
> > that anyone cares about your problems is a major fallacy. You have a
> > specific library that doesn't meet your needs, and that you are not
> > interested in maintaining yourself, so you are attempting to leverage
> > some sort of community guilt trip to get other people to do it for
> > you. That's dishonest and off-putting.
>
>     No, the problem is that these things are broken.

That's *your* problem. I don't write any code that uses SSL and so
it's not *my* problem. In a community effort, you either need to fix
your own problems or convince other people that they should fix them.
Saying "hey guys, this is broken" is a start. "You guys are shirking
your responsibilities and not supporting me the way I want to be
supported" is not, because it assumes an entitlement that you do not
have.

>     Python is the only major open source project I've encountered where
> there's so much hostility to bug reports.

You've never submitted a duplicate bug to Gnome, have you? Regardless,
I see very little hostility toward bug reports. You confuse people
failing to satisfy your needs with hostility.

>     For a while, I tried submitting long, detailed bug reports showing
> where in the C code a problem lies, and pointing out ways to fix it.
> But I don't want to take over maintenance on the SSL package;
> it's too delicate.

And yet, you are perfectly willing to claim that everyone else who
makes the same decision is failing, somehow. Could one not point out
that you are failing your responsibility to the Python community,
following the same logic?