On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Antoon Pardon wrote:

Op 2005-02-09, Roman Suzi schreef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Antoon Pardon wrote:

Op 2005-02-09, Roman Suzi schreef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Just to be sure, is email package of Python 2.3 thread-safe or not (to use, for example, in python-milter?)

Can I assume that everything
else without such notice is thread-safe?

I doubt it. There is no indication that the email package uses any kind of locking. So multiple thread working on the same message will probably screw things up.

Of course, I do not let threads to work on the same message!

Why should that be: "off course"? The random module you spoke about was also only thread unsafe if you called the same random generator from various threads. Using a randon generator per thread shouldn't have been a problem. Since you mentioned that, I thought that was the kind of thread safety you were after.

I meant that the package doesn't pose other kinds of restrictions.
Can it work in _any_ situation work on two different messages at the same
time, without any interference?

I can't give a guarantee, but there are no global statements and there doesn't seem to be assignments to cross module variables I think it would be a safe bet.

Thanks to all who discussed this. Really, I had the same thoughts about 1:1 object-thread relation being thread safe. I am doing further research and if it will give interesting results, I shall post [solved] here.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] =\= My AI powered by GNU/Linux RedHat 7.3