Duncan Booth wrote:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

"In accordance with section 10 of the GPL, Red Hat, Inc. permits
programs whose sources are distributed under a license that complies
with the Open Source definition to be linked with libcygwin.a without
libcygwin.a itself causing the resulting program to be covered by the
GNU GPL."

If I understand this right, I cannot produce commercial software with the cygwin toolset.

Contrariwise. You can produce commercial software, and it doesn't have to be GPL licensed. However if you want to distribute it (and much, possibly most, commercial software is never distributed) you have to choose between making it open-source, or buying a commercial license for cygwin. You do realise that you can produce open-source software commercially?

I understand that I've possibly not expressed myself clear.

"proprietary software" should be the right term, right?

If you want to make your program closed source then to distribute it you have to pay for the cygwin license, which all seems pretty fair to me. You have a problem with that?

yes.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com