Michel Albert wrote:

> What I meant was that one should be able to "draw" a report template.
> Basically a graphical user interface for RML in this case. I
> personally would opt for writing RML or whatever code myself. But it's
> impossible to convice my boss. The dialog usually goes like this:
>
> "So, did you find a click-and-play editor for reports" - "Not yet, but
> anyway, writing code is more flexible and easier to manage later on" -
> "Hmmm... but it's code!" - "Sure, but you only write it once for one
> report, you can easily re-use code-snippets, modifying the code does
> not require one additional program, you just use your text-editor of
> choice,..." - "Okay,.... but it's CODE!"....
>
> and this goes on forever. My boss seems to be allergic to writing code
> by hand. Which is very frustrating. I'm happy that Qt has the
> "designer", although it's very easy to code the GUI's too ;)

Probably worth pointing out that a click-and-point editor for reports can't be
both fully mimetic (as a GUI designer may be) and practical.

FWIW OpenOffice 2.3 added something of the sort. The kind of tools I'd expect
lead me to roadblocks. Now OpenOffice *does* allow scripting with python; but
the couple times I looked into it, the specs&docs on the scripting interface
scared me completly.

Good luck, BB