D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:57:10 +0300
"Andrii V. Mishkovskyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not everybody has grown in English-speaking community, you know. And
knowing math quite good, I prefer writing "x = y" instead of "Set x to
y".

OMG!  It's COBOL.

Wasn't there an aborted attempt at writing a language based on English
back in the sixties or seventies?  I seem to recall that it failed
mainly because it turns out that programmers don't like to speak in
English, even when it is their first language, to describe computer
algorithms.

IIRC the idea was so that managers could write programs in English. It failed because nobody could write a parser that would handle something like "The bottom line is that the stakeholder group requires the situation going forward to be such as to facilitate the variable known as x to provide the same outcome when stimulated by dereferencing as the variable known as y".