On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM, John Salerno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey all. Just thought I'd ask a general question for my own interest. Every
> time I think of something I might do in Python, it usually involves creating
> a GUI interface, so I was wondering what kind of work you all do with Python
> that does *not* involve any GUI work. This could be any little scripts you
> write for your own benefit, or what you do at work, if you feel like talking
> about that! :)
>
> Thanks.
> --

I write a lot of job control and process monitoring scripts in Linux.
Stuff that forks and execs processes, and then monitors procfs and
sysfs to collect periodic data.  I actually wouldn't mind doing a GUI
for it, but pretty much all of the data display I need from it I can
do by taking the data files and running them through gnuplot.  (That,
and I'm too lazy to figure out how to rewrite my telemetry plotter
from Java to Python.)

I guess I also write some data conversion programs, mostly the sort of
thing where I have a bunch of data that I didn't think far enough in
advance how I needed to be able to display it, so I just write
something to convert it to where I need it.  Incidentally, I used to
do that all in Java too, until other people in my research group
started making fun of me for it and also for not really knowing a
scripting language.