hyperboreean wrote:

> Hi, I am writing the application server for a three-tier architecture
> and sending the client's response in xml. My question is: is there a way
> to build the xml dom in a more scalable way and faster way than just
> creating every textNode and element for it? I have tons of data to
> transmit and it drives me crazy having to build that dom manually.
>
> I am not sure if this is a stupid question as I don't know other
> alternatives ... maybe just provide a template xml which I can fill with
> data but that can introduce some pretty ugly bugs in the application.

You should have a look at the ElementTree-package (which also comes
api-compatible as lxml). These allow for a much more pythonic way of
creating XML-trees.

However you might consider using a much more concise format such as json for
transport (if you have control over the client). It reduces the data-amount
to about a tenth or so (of course depending on your xml-dialect), with
considerable gains in processing time.

And then there in fact are some template languages such as KID and genshi
that might suit you because they enforce proper XML.

Diez