Peter Anderson wrote:
Hi! I am slowly teaching myself Python. I was reading David Beazley's excellent book "Python - Essential Reference"; in particular about variables. Let me quote:

"Python is a dynamically typed language in which names can represent values of different types during the execution of a program. In fact the names used in the program are really just labels for various quantities and objects. The assignment operator simply creates an association between a name and a value. This is different from C, for example, in which a name (variable) represents a fixed size and location in memory..."

As an old mainframe programmer, I understand the way C does things with variable but this text got me wondering how Python handles this "association" between variable name and value at the lower level. Is it like a fifo list?

If there is any Python guru that can help I would be most interested in your thoughts.

Please have a look at

http://effbot.org/zone/call-by-object.htm

and

http://rg03.wordpress.com/2007/04/21/semantics-of-python-variable-names-from-a-c-perspective/