Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Please have a look at
http://rg03.wordpress.com/2007/04/21/semantics-of-python-variable-names-from-a-c-perspective/

Helmut,

I found the second reference (the one above) very useful thank you. Most other respondents to my original question did not seem to understand what I was asking or didn't read the question and simply proceeded to re-state what I had quoted from Beazley - well I understood what he was saying, I simply wanted to find out how Python did it at a lower level. Your reference answered the question ;-)

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter Anderson

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6