On Nov 9, 2008, at 7:00 PM, News123 wrote:

Hi,

I was googling quite some time before finding the answer to my question:
'what are the names for the encodings supported by python?'

I found the answer at http://python.active-venture.com/lib/ node127.html

Now my question:

Can I find the same info in the standard python doc or query python with
a certain command to print out all existing codings?

Look under the heading "Standard Encodings":
http://docs.python.org/library/codecs.html

Note that both the page you found (which appears to be a copy of the Python documentation) and the reference I provide say, "Neither the list of aliases nor the list of languages is meant to be exhaustive".

I guess one reason for this is that different Python implementations could choose to offer codecs for additional encodings. --