On Nov 11, 2008, at 1:08 PM, News123 wrote:

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your answer:
The fact, that a module 'encodings' exists was new to me.

We both learned something new today. =)

encodings.aliases.aliases has however one problem.
It helps to locate all encoding aliases, but it won't find entries for
which no aliases exist:

Ooops, I hadn't thought about that.

What gives me a list of quite some encodings on my host is the shell command
ls /usr/lib/python2.5/encodings  | sed -n 's/\.py$//p' | sort
(soma false hits, bit this is fine for me purposes)

I don't know if really all encodings are represented with a .py file and
if all encodigns have to be in this directory, but it's a start.

Using shell commands is not that pythonic:

I could try to rewrite this in python by
1.) determine from which directory encodings was imported and
then using the glob module to list all .py files located there.

Yes, I'd thought about this but I agree with you that it seems unpythonic and fragile. Unfortunately I can't think of anything better at this point.

Good luck
Philip