On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:36 AM, Duncan Booth wrote:

Python is just printing the ascii bell character: some environments will
interpret that as a request to make a beep, some will do things like
flashing the whole screen, others just output a graphic character. Python
doesn't know what your environment will do.

Agreed.

But invoking the standard system beep is such a basic function that it ought to be easier than this. I'm pretty sure it's a single OS call on all platforms. On OS X, for example, it's

  void NSBeep(void);

declared in NSGraphics.h. I'm sure it's something similarly simple on other platforms.

Where's the standard place for this sort of OS-abstraction function, outside the standard Python library? I'm talking about something more light-weight than wx, QT, or TK; something that just wraps standard functions (like the system beep) and works in console apps or in any flavor of GUI app. Is there such a module out there somewhere?

Best,
- Joe