< ... >

Uhm. In my experience, with TCP protocol recv only returned less than
the required bytes if the remote end disconnects. I always check the

What if the sending end actually sent less than you asked for ?

-srp

In blocking mode and with TCP protocol, the recv waits until more bytes are received - mixing up the next message with the previous one and then loosing the 'sync' and being unable to interpretate the received data - or the remote end disconnects.

Yes this is bad, and is a good reason why socket receive should be handled in non-blocking mode if you receive data from untrusted sources. But luckily for me, as I said in the other post, I used socket mostly to communicate between specific applications on a private LAN or WAN, so I could afford to ignore the problem.

Ciao
----
FB