M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

On the Mac in particular, if you want
your app to run on any PowerPC or Intel machine runing 10.4 or later,
and you're using anything not in the standard framework (such as
MySQLdb), it's a bit of a nightmare.

You're looking for py2app:

http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html

No, I'm *using* py2app. I've been trying to use it for a couple of weeks now, with the generous help of such people as Robin Dunn, and I still don't have it quite working properly. (I'd be happy to send you my notes on what was required to get as far as I've gotten, but it's several pages, a bit long to post here.)

(py2exe works a little more easily, thank goodness.)

So I would say that Python as a language is great, and its standard
framework is great.  But its (many) IDEs are pretty poor, and the
process of building a polished, packaged app is abysmal.

It's certainly work, but that's always the case for nicely polished
apps :-)

In Python, yes.  :)  Not in all environments.

For packaging, you can choose from a multitude of installer builders -
none of which are really Python specific.

I'm not even talking about that level of packaging -- I'm just talking about making something that appears to the user like a normal executable, which they can double-click on their system and have it actually run, rather than aborting with something unhelpful like "No module named MySQLdb".

And there are
some things (such as Flash-style web applets) that you still can't do at
all in Python, even after all these years.

You're looking for Silverlight:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight/index.shtml

Maybe. I'm not a big fan of anything so Microsoftian, but I'll admit that this does mostly fit the bill I described above (or has the potential to, anyway).

Thanks,
- Joe