Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:36:07 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:

Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquech...@free.quelquepart.fr> writes:
Why on earth are you using Python if you don't like the way it work ???
Why on earth keep releasing new versions of Python if the old ones are
already perfect?

That's a fallacious argument. Nobody is arguing that any specific version of Python is perfect, but clearly many people do like the general design choices of the language, that is, the way it works.

Thanks for making my point clear.

*If* you don't like the way it works, and you have a choice in the matter, perhaps you should find another language that works more the way you would prefer.

On the other hand... Bruno's question is unfair. It is perfectly reasonable to (hypothetically) consider Python to be the best *existing* language while still wanting it to be improved (for some definition of improvement).

And that's the problem : what Paul suggests are not "improvements" but radical design changes. The resulting language - whatever it may be worth, I'm not making any judgement call here - would not be Python anymore.

Just because somebody has criticisms of Python, or a wish-
list of features, doesn't mean they hate the language.

There's probably a whole range of nuances between "not liking" and "hating". And Paul is of course perfectly right to think that a language having this and that features from Python, but not this other one, would be a "better" language (at least according to it's own definition of "better"). Where I totally disagree is that it would make *Python* better.

Also, my question was not that "unfair" (even if a bit provocative). I really wonder why peoples that seems to dislike one of the central features of Python - it's dynamism - still use it (assuming of course they are free to choose another language). And FWIW, I at least had a partial answer on this.