Paul Rubin a écrit :
Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilli...@websiteburo.invalid> writes:
But those occasions are rare enough that having to
enable the feature by saying (e.g.) "@dynamic" before the class
definition doesn't seem like a problem,
This imply that you (as the library author) pretend to know by advance
when your users (programmers) will have a need for dynamism and when
they won't.

We're not talking about libraries here.

Yes we are. If the default is "non-dynamic", then a class author is in charge of explicitely allowing it when *he* see fits.

 But in fact, we do have
extensible and non-extensible versions  of certain libraries (pickle,
StringIO)

what we have are python-coded and highly optimized C-coded versions of the same libraries. FWIW, in both cases, the python version came first, and the C implementation followed when it was clear that for these specific libs, the less-dynamic C version's perf improvement justified giving up on dynamism, *given that:*

so that the user can pick the one that suits their requirements.

As long as it's up to the *user* to choose, that's ok. Your "@dynamic" class decorator doesn't have the same implications.