Paul Rubin a écrit :
Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquech...@free.quelquepart.fr> writes:
Once again, there's quite a lot to learn from
the story of Ariane 5.

Do you know what actually happened with Ariane 5?

*yes I do* - else I wouldn't mention it. Thanks.

 The failure was
because "smart" humans overrode the language enforced protection by
casting a floating point number down to a 16-bit integer, which worked
ok in Ariane 4, but failed with an overflow on Ariane 5 where bigger
numbers were involved.

The failure was because a module tested, QA'd and certified within a given context (in which it was ok to drop the builtin error handling) was reused in a context where it was not ok. And the point is exactly that : no *technology* can solve this kind of problem, because it is a *human* problem (in that case, not taking time to repass the whole specs / tests / QA process given context change).