Paul Rubin wrote:
Bryan Olson writes:
BTW, class instances are usually immutable and thus don't require a
mutex in the system I described.

Then you are describing a language radically different from Python.

That one threw me for a minute too, but I think the idea is that the
class instance itself is immutable, while its slots (specifically the
attribute dictionary) point to mutable objects.

The meaning of 'immutable' is well-established in the Python literature. Python's immutable types include tuple, frozenset, and various kinds of numbers and strings. Class instances, not so much.

What's more, this matters when considering a GIL-less implementation. Typical method calls can traverse lots of mutable stuff just to find the function to invoke.

--
--Bryan