On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:40:56 +0000 (UTC), Benjamin Peterson
<benja...@python.org> wrote:
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_666 <at> gmx.net> writes:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 02:02:43 +0000, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun <at> divmod.com> writes:
>> Consider whether you really need to use super().
>>
>> http://fuhm.net/super-harmful/
>
> This article chiefly deals with super()'s harm in multiple inteheritance
> situations. For the simple case, though, like that presented by the OP,
> I believe super() is perfect.

But for the simple cases it is unnecessary because it was invented to
deal with multiple inheritance problems.

super() is great for single inheritance because it furthers the DRY principle
(base classes are not scattered through the code), and rather ugly use of
unbound methods.

It replaces one kind of repetition with another.  I think each kind is
about as unpleasant.  Has anyone gathered any data on the frequency of
changes of base classes as compared to the frequency of classes being
renamed?  I don't think either happens very often, but it might be
interesting to see some numbers.

Jean-Paul