Gabriel Genellina wrote:
En Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:31:20 -0200, bvdp <b...@mellowood.ca> escribió:
Gabriel Genellina wrote:
En Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:46:34 -0200, bvdp <b...@mellowood.ca> escribió:
Chris Rebert wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM, bvdp <b...@mellowood.ca> wrote:

[problem with Python and Windows paths using backslashes]
 Is there any particular reason you can't just internally use regular
forward-slashes for the paths? [...]

you are absolutely right! Just use '/' on both systems and be done with it. Of course I still need to use \x20 for spaces, but that is easy.
Why is that? "\x20" is exactly the same as " ". It's not like %20 in URLs, that becomes a space only after decoding.

I need to use the \x20 because of my parser. I'm reading unquoted lines from a file. The file creater needs to use the form "foo\x20bar" without the quotes in the file so my parser can read it as a single token. Later, the string/token needs to be decoded with the \x20 converted to a space.

So, in my file "foo bar" (no quotes) is read as 2 tokens; "foo\x20bar" is one.

So, it's not really a problem of what happens when you assign a string in the form "foo bar", rather how to convert the \x20 in a string to a space. I think the \\ just complicates the entire issue.

Just thinking, if you was reading the string from a file, why were you worried about \\ and \ in the first place? (Ok, you moved to use / so this is moot now).

Just cruft introduced while I was trying to figure it all out. Having to figure the \\ and \x20 at same time with file and keyboard input just confused the entire issue :) Having the user set a line like c:\\Program\x20File ... works just fine. I'll suggest he use c:/program\x20files to make it bit simple for HIM, not my parser. Unfortunately, due to some bad design decisions on my part about 5 years ago I'm afraid I'm stuck with the \x20.

Thanks.