Lie wrote:
[snip]
Alternatively:
"One friend of mine half-seriously advanced the following thesis: We
should count from zero. But "first" is, etymologically, a diminution
of "foremost", and (as TomStambaugh says) should mean "0th" when we
count from 0. And "second" is from the Latin "secundus", meaning
"following", so it should mean "1th" when we count from 0. Obviously
the ordinals from "third" onwards get their names from the numbers.
So... we need a new word for "2th". He proposed "twifth". Thus: first,
second, twifth, third, fourth, ..."

I propose "twoth" (sounds like "tooth"). :-)