I was wondering if there is a way to start an interactive shell within a script/application. I'm sometimes tired of adding prints to scan the current namespace so I'd like to pause the execution and give the user the shell prompt.
This is obviously for debugging purpose.

I know that I may use the raw_input and eval the captured text but honestly, this requires some coding and I won't benefit from the shell features. Would it be even possible to use a shell like Ipython ?

By the way, if anyone has cunning ways for debugging code to share, he would be much welcome.

Jean-Michel