So, the question is, can the same thing be done for Python apps?

I love Python and all, but it'd be apt to ask, what's the point?

The iPhone is running on what? A 400Mhz ARM processor? Resources on the
device are already limited; running your program on top of an embedded
Python interpreter would only be adding pressure to the constraints;
even if it was an optimized interpreter.
I don't know iPhone,
but I've done some experiments with 400 MHz arm, running Windows Mobile,
and found PocketPyGUI running very very well on these devices.

cheers,
Stef Mientki