J Kenneth King wrote:
Stef Mientki <stef.mien...@gmail.com> writes:

So, the question is, can the same thing be done for Python apps?
I love Python and all, but it'd be apt to ask, what's the point?

The iPhone is running on what? A 400Mhz ARM processor? Resources on the
device are already limited; running your program on top of an embedded
Python interpreter would only be adding pressure to the constraints;
even if it was an optimized interpreter.
I don't know iPhone,
but I've done some experiments with 400 MHz arm, running Windows Mobile,
and found PocketPyGUI running very very well on these devices.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Sure, but it's pretty relative in the sense that it might be fast enough
if I'm sitting around but too slow if I want to enter some information
in the app before the next train comes.

As a programmer, I don't really see the benefit of using an embedded
interpreter on the iPhone.  Objective-C isn't the greatest language, but
it's easy to learn and well supported.  It also compiles into some
pretty speedy executables.

If you can sacrifice a little run-time speed for your users in exchange
for ease of development on your part, all the more to you.

My original point was that I don't see the benefit in that decision.

ok 20 years ago I might have agreed with you,
but now a days,
speed of development is a much more important decision maker than speed of execution ;-)

cheers,
Stef