Phillip M. Feldman wrote:

I've been converting Matlab codes to Python. In Matlab, a scalar is just a one-by-one matrix and has a length of 1. This convention seems no less arbitrary to me than Python's convention that the concept of length is not applicable to ints and floats.

Multiplication of a vector/matrix by a scalar always defined and commutative. Multiplication of a vector/matrix by a 1x1 matrix is not always even defined. So not having scalars in a matrix package strikes me as a bit odd.

> My workaround was to write
the following function:

def is_scalar(x):
   """Return True if x is an instance of int, float, or complex.
   Otherwise, return False.  Note: If x is a length-1 list or array
   containing an int, float, or complex value, False is returned."""
   if isinstance(x,int) or isinstance(x,float) or isinstance(x,complex):

Better:    if isinstance(x, (int, float, complex)):

but you forgot decimals and fractions and any other possible number modules.

In 3.1,
>>> from numbers import Number
>>> from decimal import Decimal
>>> from fractions import Fraction
>>> for x in 1, 1.0, (1+0j), Decimal(1), Fraction(1,1):
        isinstance(x, Number)

True
True
True
True
True

and the same for any other module that registers a class as a Number

      return True
   return False

The application is the following: In various types of scientific applications, one operates on a list of measurements. If there is only a single measurement, it is reasonable to allow the calling program to pass a scalar without wrapping it up into a list or array.

If you want to do that, start with

def f(x):
  try: len(x)
  except TypeError: x = x,