Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:

[0] there's an ancient myth about a peasant's cart getting stuck in the
mud, so the peasant starts calling out for help from goddess Athena.
Another peasant passing by tells him: "Syn Athena kai kheira kinei",
which means, more or less, "keep on calling Athena, but start also using
your hands."
I don't know any related myth of anglo-saxon origin to quote.

A man prays to God, very hard for a winning lottery ticket. He tells God that he will use most of the money to do good works. Some he will use to make life better for his family. He keeps praying and praying. He never wins the lottery.

One day he is so angry, he goes to church and rants and raves to God about not winning the lottery. Finally God comes and says to him "You have to buy a ticket my son, for me to help you."
--
Michael Hoffman