Marcus Wanner wrote:
On 7/30/2009 9:32 AM, Beldar wrote:

On 30 jul, 15:07, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

Beldar wrote:

Hi there!
I have a problem and i'm not very good at regular expressions.
I have a text like "lalala lalala tiruri beldar-is-listening tiruri
lalala" I need a regexp to get the 'beldar' part, the format is
'something-is-listening', i need to get the something part, use it in
my code, and then replace the whole 'something-is-listening' for
another string.

\w+ will match a word and enclosing it in (...) will capture what was
matched:

     m = re.search(r"(\w+)-is-listening", text)
     print "Captured '%s'" % m.group(1)
     print "Matched from %d to %d" % (m.start(), m.end())

Ok, thank you all, it was very helpful!

Wow, I really need to learn more about regexp...
Any tutorials you guys can recommend?

Marcus

Mastering Regular Expressions
Powerful Techniques for Perl and Other Tools
By Jeffrey E. F. Friedl

Great book!

~Ethan~