Kevin Holleran wrote:
Good morning,

I fear the answer to this is that I just cannot do this....

I wrote a python script that goes out to a bunch of remote machines and queries the registry for some values. Effectively, there have been some software upgrades that have been done as the need arose but we need to do them across the organization now. There are three, and the script checks all three and returns the values. One of these just needs to be a registry change as it is a client server application that the server was upgraded and the clients need a change to a registry value to work.

Long story short, I am using _winreg to do this.

hKey = _winreg.OpenKey (keyPath, path, 0, _winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE)
value,type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(hKey, item)
if (value == wrongValue):
       _winreg.SetValue(hKey,'',_winreg.REG_SZ,correctValue)
When I do this I receive the error:

_winreg.SetValue WindowsError: [Error 5] Access Denied

I am running this from my machine as a domain admin, connecting to the remote machine which is also on the domain.
I am connecting to the remote registry with:

keyPath = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(r"\\" + ipAddress,_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

Thanks for any help.
What is 'ipAddress'? Is it an actual IP address? The documentation says
it should be the computer name.