Steven D'Aprano wrote:

According to the theory "increased usage leads to higher prices", we should be paying more for Internet access now than we were in 1999, and hugely more that from the early 90s when there were hardly any Internet users.

You are confusing historical changed with contemporaneous alternatives.

Suppose that all over the world, people coordinated so that one in three households paid ISPs while a neighbor on each side piggybacked (and perhaps paid the paying househould their one-third share). Do you really think that would have no effect on the pricing and availability of internet service?

tjr