Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:01:26 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:19:48 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:01:54 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

ISP's price residential service based on average fixed cost and
average usage. Multiple homes using one connection push those
averages up.

Is that meant to be a problem?

When people buy more, the unit price they are paying falls, but the
total price they pay generally goes up. E.g. we've recently upgraded
our business link from AUD$150 per month for 60GB to $190 for 100GB.
The per GB price is less, but the total we pay is more -- and the ISP
doesn't have to do much extra work for that extra money.

The difference is that you *upgraded* your service and so incurred a
greater total cost.  If my neighbor lets the rest of the neighborhood
use his wireless, while I do not, yet my prices go up because on
average more usage is happening, I am paying more but not getting more.

Incorrect -- you are getting all the downloads you make yourself, plus
the warm fuzzy feeling of happiness from the knowledge that other
people are making downloads you have paid for.

Of course, if you've *unintentionally* left your wi-fi open, perhaps
"cold feelings of dread and horror" would be more appropriate, but
we're talking about the situation where folks deliberately leave their
wi-fi open for whatever reason.

Read a little closer, Steven -- *my* wi-fi is *closed*, it's my neighbor
(in theory) who has his open, and all that extra usage is making *my*
rate go up -- no warm fuzzies, only irritation.

Okay, that makes zero sense at all.

[snip]

If I'm leaching off my neighbour's open network, chances are that I'll be using my own account less, so the average will tend to remain about the same.

[more snippage]

Ah, I think that's the communication problem between us -- you're an optimist! ;-)

In my experience, the folks that would use the open wi-fi do *not* have an account of their own, are *not* paying their fair share, and I feel very differently about that situation than about somebody who *is* paying for their *own* service, even if they use it *a lot*.

Don't you just love bold?  ;-)

~Ethan~